If you are reading this, you are considering having your artwork investigated with technical imaging. We hope that you are excited as much as we are! This is a unique opportunity to learn more about your artwork and its history, as well as a great way to protect your artwork from damage and to ensure its preservation for future generations.
Before we start, here is what you can expect from the project before, during and after the imaging session.
- Provide as much information as possible about your artwork. This includes the size, medium, and any known history of the painting. If you have any photographs of the artwork, please provide those as well.
- If the project is covered by confidentiality, we are happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement. This will protect the privacy of your artwork and the findings of the investigation.
- Prepare your artwork for the investigation. The painting must be unframed and mounted on a sturdy easel, and the clamping sides protected by hard foam blocks. For paintings exceeding 60 cm (longer dimension) we recommend preparing two easels.
- The room where the investigation will take place should be pitch black and at least 4 x 3 meters in size. Access to electricity is also required, please let us know what kind of plugs you have so we can bring the right adapter.
- Having a working station will make our work much easier. A table or a wheeled cart will do great.
- The investigation will take approximately one day per painting. If only details or one method are chosen, we may be able to complete multiple artworks in a day.
- We can travel anywhere in the world for your project. Our equipment fits in two cases and a backpack that can be checked-in in any plane belly. However, since the gears occupy most of the space, we can’t stay longer than one week.
- We usually take with us enough protective goggles for two people. Let us know if more would like to join the room, we will make sure to bring an extra pair.
- Equipment set-up and packing takes approximately one hour.
- Lunch break takes about one hour, during which we check that the images are all OK. Let us know if we should arrange our own meal or if there are cafés in the area!
- The images and the report will be delivered within two weeks. However, if the project covers more than two artworks, there may be a slight delay.
- If the project has a high scientific interest, it is worth considering publishing the results with the community. If you don’t want, worry not: Art + Image will never publish details of the project without your consent.
We are happy to answer any questions you have about your project, don’t hesitate contact us to learn more about how we can help you with your artwork.